Access to lab resources and services is contingent upon users’ compliance with lab operational procedures described under Lab Policies and agreement to pay charges incurred.
All new users are REQUIRED to complete the TRLab Request for Access Form prior to using the equipment. Please contact email@example.com for additional information. Users are strongly advised to not set up experiments and reserve time to use the instrument prior to training or getting access to the lab; any loss of time, consumables, or experimental data due to the user not following the policies of TRLab is entirely the responsibility of the user.
Core Lab Policies
In addition to the general laboratory rules set by USC, all TRLab users are required to follow the following procedures that govern the operation of the lab and the use of lab resources.
- TRLab operational hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except holidays.
- TRLab is a BSL-2 facility. The individual user is required to be properly trained and certified for BSL-2 lab practices by EHS and their respective labs.
- Users are mandated to bring their own PPEs (e.g. lab coats) and wear them at all times in the TRLab.
- Any users who do not comply with safe practices may be asked to leave the facility, followed by written notification to user, PI, and research office detailing non-compliance. Repeat non-compliance may lead to suspension of user access to TRLab.
- Prior to access to TRLab, users must be included on their respective PI’s BUA and/or IACUC protocols.
- The use of instrument is scheduled and charged through the FBS system. All USC users are required to access to USC FBS scheduling system.
For USC Users
If you have not used FBS in the past, your PI will need to set you up as a registered user under his/her account. Detailed instructions are available here. If you have previously used FBS and are having problems with accessing FBS, help is available on the USC’s FBS website.
If you are having any of the above issues and need to urgently make a reservation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For Non-USC Users
Please contact email@example.com for reservations and questions.
All new users need to submit a service request form to help us better understand their experimental needs. The form may be completed and submitted here. TRLab will provide any necessary training for TRLab access and new equipment.
Training is required for use of any TRLab equipment. There are three categories of TRLab equipment Class I, II and III. A complete list of equipment in each category can be found on FBS. Please refer to the training procedure to request equipment training with an equipment-specific trainer or TRLab.
All users are required respects for TRLab shared equipment.
- User will clean up equipment before and after use.
- User will immediately report equipment issue (e.g. system error, stuck sample, damage) to TRLab
USC ID is required to access the TRLab card access system. Access to TRLab is granted only after the user has demonstrated the ability to properly operate the instrument without assistance. Users are strongly advised to not set up experiments and reserve time to use the instrument prior to training or getting access to the lab; any loss of time, consumables, experimental data due to the user not following policies of TRLab is entirely the responsibility of the user.
- Sharing USC ID is prohibited.
- Escorting unauthorized personnel without permission is prohibited.
Reservation for 8 hours or longer must be made at least 24 hours before the reservation.
Reservations for individual instrument usage must be made in advance. Any changes or cancellations must be made at least 2 hours before the reservation in order to avoid penalty fees.
A no-show without cancellation will be charged for the time scheduled. Repeat no-show may lead to suspension of user’s ability to make future reservations.
If users are found operating instruments without a reservation, the PI(s) will be notified and their accounts will be charged accordingly. Repeat offense may lead to suspension of future access of TRLab.
It is the user’s responsibility to use lab resources in a responsible manner. Users should contact TRLab staff if technical assistance is needed. Damage from misuse will result in charges for repair costs.
It is the user’s responsibility to save their data generated from instrument use. Any data saved on the hard drives may be deleted by the director as necessary to ensure adequate space for the computer to run properly.
Any non-compliance of TRLab policies will be documented and shared with user, PI and RO. Corrective action will include refresher training with an acknowledgment of policies and procedures.