USC Mann offers a PGY2 Residency Training Program in Oncology Pharmacy Practice (one position) at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital and our affiliated Ambulatory Infusion Center and Clinics in Pasadena, Arcadia and Newport Beach. This program offers an extensive hands-on experience in a well-balanced structure with the resident actively participating in:
- Clinical Oncology Practice (both Inpatient and Ambulatory Care)
- Teaching (Case conferences group discussion and Didactic)
- Research (Prospective and/or Retrospective Clinical Practice-based)
- Administration (Drug Use Policy and Practice Management)
- Investigational Drug Services and Clinical Trial Unit
Residency learning experiences’ schedule and training are tailored and individualized, based on the interest and clinical experience of the resident.
Located on the USC Health Science Campus, the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital is one of 51 Comprehensive Cancer Centers designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) devoted to cancer treatment, research, prevention and education. The USC Norris Cancer Center and Hospital is a 60-bed adult tertiary care facility, including a 15-bed Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, a 6-bed Clinical Trials Unit and a 7-bed Intensive Care Unit. The outpatient facility has a 24-chair, 12-bed Day Hospital Infusion Center with 6 Outpatient Clinics and a Breast Center. The Outpatient Clinics and Day Hospital provide services to over 4,000 patients a month. The Norris Pasadena (8-chair, 1-bed), Arcadia (12-chair, 3-bed) and Newport Beach (23-chair) Clinics are off-site community Hematology-Oncology practices with Ambulatory Infusion Centers and Pharmacies.
Clinical Oncology Practice
The PGY2 Oncology Residency Program at USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital offers hands-on clinical practice learning experiences at both the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital and our affiliated Ambulatory Infusion Center and Clinics in Pasadena, Arcadia and Newport Beach. Required learning experiences are completed at the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Hospital with one optional elective 4-6 weeks rotation completed at USC Health Science Campus or other off-site facilities.
Required – Clinical Oncology Practice learning experiences at USC Norris Cancer Center and Hospital
- Inpatient – Medical Oncology (8 weeks)
- Inpatient – Hematology/Bone Marrow Transplantation (8 weeks)
- Ambulatory Care – Hematology/Oncology Infusion Center (8 weeks)
- Ambulatory Care – Hematology/Oncology MD Clinics (6 weeks)
- Oncology Administration and Practice Management (Longitudinal)
- Pharmacy Practice Operations (Inpatient and Ambulatory Care) (Longitudinal)
- Research and Teaching (Longitudinal)
Elective – Learning experiences at USC Health Science Campus or other off-site facilities
- Investigational Drug Services (4-6 weeks)
- Pharmacy Informatics Technology (4 weeks)
- Specialty Pharmacy – Hematology/Oncology Service (4-6 weeks)
The PGY2 Oncology resident receives a faculty appointment as a lecturer with USC Mann for the 12-month period. Teaching responsibilities include co-precepting Level IV PharmD students in their APPE clinical clerkship rotations throughout the year. Facilitate clinical case conferences in the Clinical Therapeutics Series for Level III students and assist PGY1 residents with preparation of 2-clinical case conferences with Hematology/Oncology focus during the Spring Semester. The PGY2 Oncology resident is also required to provide 1-2 hours of didactic teaching and 2-clinical case conferences in Oncology Clinical Therapeutics Module. A teaching certificate is optional for the PGY1 resident interested in pursuing teaching and academia, but is a requirement for the PGY2 Oncology resident.
Research classes and seminars are provided to residents. During the year, the PGY2 Oncology resident is required to:
- Complete a residency research project
- Present the project’s findings at either the Western States Conference for Pharmacy Residents, Fellows and Preceptors or at a national conference
- Submit a manuscript of the completed project for publication in a peer-viewed journal prior to end of the residency