Here is a selection of USC School of Pharmacy faculty members in the news in recent months:
- Dana P. Goldman, PhD was quoted in the New York Times (via the Associated Press) on how drug prices impact patients taking and refilling prescriptions. He penned an opinion piece for The Hill about controlling drug costs while spurring innovation, and was quoted by the Los Angeles Times about successful, international state-mandated healthcare schemes. Additionally, he and Erin Trish, PhD, were quoted in the Academic Pharmacy Now cover story, “Can Drug Costs be Contained?”
- An article in The Conversation by James David Adams, PhD on the untapped healing compounds in marijuana was re-published in EcoWatch, the Arizona Daily Sun, the Billings Gazette (Montana) and the Journal Times (Racine, Wisconsin).
- Roger Clemens, DrPh was featured on KABC-TV about safety concerns regarding CBD products. He was also quoted by Nutra Ingredients USA about the lack of data on the stability, safety, and health benefits of ingestible cannabis products.
- Melissa J. Durham, PharmD, MACM, APh, BCACP was quoted in a Trojan Family Magazine article about USC faculty members on the front lines of the opioid epidemic. She was also quoted about non-opioid pain treatments in Medical Xpress.
- Eunjoo Pacifici, PharmD, PhD was quoted by Medscape in an article titled “Chinese Cancer Article Retraction Could Point to Regulators’ Drive for Higher Clinical Research Standards.” She and Nancy Pire-Smerkanich, DRSc, MS, were featured by TrialSite News for developing a self-study module that can be used to cross-train academic researchers during investigator-initiated trials.
- Geoffrey Joyce, PhD was quoted by PolitiFact about the difference in insulin costs between American and Canada; by Tampa Bay Times on the change in list and actual discounted prices in the drug industry; by California Healthline about pay-for-delay tactics used by brand-name drugmakers to extend patents; by Healthcare Dive about how pharmacy benefit managers disguise rebates to avoid passing on the savings to clients. He was quoted by TIME about pharmacy benefit managers and their role in negotiating drug costs; had his research on the frequency of co-pay overpayments by patients cited by Capitol Weekly. He also had his research on the distribution of profits in the pharmaceutical distribution chain featured by the Columbus Dispatch.
- Seth Seabury, PhD co-authored an op-ed for CALmatters titled “To Help People with Mental Illness, Keep Them in School.”
- Erin Trish, PhD was quoted by California Healthline (via Kaiser Health News) on how patients who pay higher list prices with larger rebates for prescriptions subsidize lower premiums for other patients.
- William Padula, PhD spoke with Yahoo Finance about the economic costs of the anti-vaccination movement in America.
- Annie Wong-Beringer, PharmD, FCCP, FIDSA was quoted by Healio about the importance of managing patients with Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia, as each day of infection increases mortality risk by 16 percent.