Here is a selection of USC School of Pharmacy faculty members in the news in recent months:
- USC Mann’s flu vaccine collaboration with the City of Los Angeles was highlighted in a Facebook livestream by the Mayor’s Office and in an L.A. Mayor’s Office press release. It was also featured in USC News and in coverage by KTLA, USC Annenberg, LA Daily News, KABC, Telemundo 52 and other media outlets. Vassilios Papadopoulos, DPharm, PhD, DSc (hon), and Richard Dang, PharmD, APh, BCACP, were featured in the coverage.
- Darius N. Lakdawalla, PhD, and Erin Trish, PhD, had their op-ed on how pooled testing could be the fastest and cheapest way to increase coronavirus screenings featured by MarketWatch (via The Conversation).
- Susan Bain, DRSc, was quoted by Digital Journal about pooled testing for the coronavirus.
- Steven Chen, PharmD, FASHP, FCSHP, FNAP, was featured in Pharmacy Times and Health Care Innovation regarding the California Right Meds Collaborative (CRMC), which was highlighted in a joint news release announcement by USC Mann, LA Care and Inland Empire Health Plan (IEHP); was featured on the Healthy Skeptic, MD podcast about the key roles that pharmacists play in the health system.
- Geoffrey Joyce, PhD, was quoted by The Los Angeles Times about Trump’s investment in Kodak for the development of generic drugs; was quoted by Los Angeles Business Journal about GoodRx, Inc. and its decision to create a telehealth marketplace. Additionally, he was interviewed about California’s generic drug plans on “Top of Mind with Julie Rose” on BYU Radio (Sirius XM 143).
- Edith Mirzaian, PharmD, BCACP, was quoted by Well + Good about flu shots and why it’s so important to get one this year.
- Dana P. Goldman, PhD, co-wrote an article in The Conversation about why the biggest transmitters of COVID-19, mostly the young, should be first in line for a vaccine after essential workers; was featured in a USC Schaeffer Center news release for leading the Schaeffer Center’s new NIA-funded center to address the social and economic impacts of Alzheimer’s. He also co-authored an op-ed for The Los Angeles Times on how to most effectively roll out COVID-19 vaccines.
- Nancy Pire-Smerkanich, DRSc, MS, was quoted by Healthline about the importance of increasing women in clinical trials for new medication.
- Carla Blieden, PharmD, MPH, AAHIVP, was interviewed by KCBS about USC Mann’s flu vaccine collaboration with the City of Los Angeles.
- John A. Romley, PhD, was quoted by U.S. News & World Report (via Kaiser Health News) on employment trends in the healthcare sector.
- Kari Franson, PhD, PharmD, BCPP, was quoted in Healio News about the effects of using cannabis to treat various disease states and health conditions.
- Research by Stan Louie, PharmD, was highlighted by the USC Ginsburg Institute for Biomedical Therapeutics and featured in Science Blog and Mirage News.