October 28, 2019
Here is a selection of USC School of Pharmacy faculty members in the news in recent months:
- Dana P. Goldman, PhD, authored an article for The Conversation titled “Why Your Employer-Sponsored Insurance May Ultimately Not Be Good for You;” authored an op-ed piece for MarketWatch titled, “This Is a Health-Care Plan Both Republicans and Democrats Should Agree On”; was quoted by the Associated Press on his research that shows that patients have more trouble taking their medication as their costs rise.
- Edith Mirzaian, PharmD, BCACP, was featured on KPCC-FM’s “AirTalk” in an interview on the proliferation of summer mosquitoes and mosquito-borne illnesses in Los Angeles.
- Research led by Vassilios Papadopoulos was featured in The Daily Mail (U.K.) and Independent Online (U.K.), among other publications.
- James David Adams, PhD, was quoted by Goop as an expert on popular herbal supplements.
- Melvin F. Baron, PharmD, MPA, had a special print edition of his fotonovela about vaccines, Rumors Infecciosos!, distributed as an insert in the El Latino newspaper (September 11-24, 2019 edition), the only bilingual newspaper in California’s central coast. The printing and distribution was made possible through a grant from the community health plan CenCal Health, which provides coverage for 1 in 4 people in Santa Barbara County, and 1 in 5 in San Luis Obispo County, and works with over 1,500 physicians, hospitals and other providers.
- Roger Clemens, DrPh, was quoted on KABC about safety issues pertaining to CBD products.
- Melissa J. Durham, PharmD, MACM, APh, BCACP, was featured by The Orange County Register and The Daily Titan for presenting a talk about the opioid crisis, October 9; was interviewed by Korean radio station BeFM’s “Morning Wave in Busan” about opioids and the legal action Oklahoma took against Johnson & Johnson.
- Darius Lakdawalla, PhD was quoted in Financial Times about prescription drug costs in the U.S.
- Frances J. Richmond, PhD, was quoted by Cancer Discovery about the FDA’s collaborative review of a new cancer treatment with drug agencies in Canada and Australia, allowing for simultaneous approval of lenvatinib in combination with pembrolizumab for the treatment of recurrent endometrial carcinomas.
- Seth Seabury, PhD, was featured by IFL Science! for his use of models to work out the financial impact of serious mental illness.
- Erin Trish, PhD, co-authored an op-ed for Health Affairs titled “Rep. Ruiz’s Arbitration Proposal For Surprise Billing (H.R. 3502) Would Lead To Much Higher Costs and Deficits.”